Vanguard is a well-known and trusted brand, and the firm’s marketing and communications teams work hard to portray that image online. The purpose of this action is to disrupt Vanguard’s brand image as a trustworthy company and help make it widely known that Vanguard is one of the world’s biggest investors in the climate crisis.
How to participate: Head over to instagram and search for the accounts @lifeatvanguard and @vanguardgroup. On each account, choose from one of the most recent posts and leave a comment about Vanguard’s need to do better on climate.
Drafting your own comment is the most impactful, even if brief, as it shows Vanguard that a variety of people share the opinion that the firm needs to do better on climate and is a big part of the problem. We’ve included a selection of sample comments to work from; if possible, it’s best to edit them slightly and add any of your own values or opinions rather than copying and pasting directly. Just be sure to use the campaign hashtag #VanguardSOS
- Vanguard must chart a new course away from climate catastrophe and toward sustainable investing before it’s too late. #VanguardSOS 🆘
- ❗❗❗ Vanguard has $101 billion in coal with no end in sight — stop fossil fuel expansion now! #VanguardSOS ❗❗❗
- Vanguard by definition means leading 🤓 but where is Vanguard’s leadership on climate change? 👀 Nowhere. #VanguardSOS
- Vanguard only has 0.38% of its assets under management invested in ESG funds. 🙃🙃🙃 That’s not a sustainable model for a livable future. #VanguardSOS
- ❗❗❗With over $300 BILLION in fossil fuels, Vanguard is directly funding climate destruction #VanguardSOS ❗❗❗
- 🤫 🤫 Vanguard doesn’t want you to know this but 🚨 spoiler alert 🚨 it’s actually lagging way behind its peers on addressing the climate crisis 😳 #VanguardSOS